Friday, February 1, 2013

Cleaning Upholstery (and my awesome thrift find!)

So...I realized something...in my head I am such a good blogger! You should see the posts! I do so many things, recipes, projects, etc., that I never document and I also have so many things I start to document then never post. Yeah if I could post everything I do I would have a blog over flowing but...it is what it is. 
This is something however I just had to share! I was at my local DI and saw two sea colored beauties I couldn't pass up! I have wanted to do my living room forever! And I am starting to snatch things up as I can so this is where I am starting! There are two squatty chairs and I love them! But they were dusty and had a few scary spills on them so I had to clean it up and hope for the best! I reasearched some DIY upholstery cleaning and came up with a simple solution!


First, I vacuumed it like crazy! I did it in all different directions and sprinkled baking soda on the seat cushions to add a little extra  oomph...and that brightened them up quite a bit then I clean cleaned them. I took 2 cup warm water to 1/4 cup blue dawn and whipped it up for about 2 min to get a foam that I blotted on the fabric and blotted back off after a few minutes with a clean damp cloth. i had to rinse my cloth off a few times because it seemed dingy but that seemed like a good thing.  I used a little extra foam and a soft bristled toothbrush on the more scary spots...and did not have a problem! They cleaned up beautifully! 

I can't wait to find the rest of what I don't know I have to have for my living room and get it all together to show you!


14 comments:

  1. Wow, that couch almost looks brand new! That spill looks nasty. Glad you were able to remove it from the cushion.

    Good find! It looks nice in that corner by, what I assume, is a window and a corner lamp. :)

    Kirk Kubik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love them...Still trying to get them to fit in perfectly but the whole room is a work in progress!

      Delete
  2. Blue Dawn really does the trick for most dried-out stains. I myself had an encounter with a coffee stain that dried up in my carpet. I know it would’ve been easier to remove if I got to it as soon as the spill happened, but I had people over and was kinda feeling lazy, so... :P

    Bo Tolbert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cream colored chair that I'm in love with, it got dirty in my most recent move, silly me didn't cover it. And I was wondering of your DIY would work. I'm a first time home maker (fieance and I new home) and truthfully have no idea what Blue Dawn is lol please help this inexperienced youngin lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nichole! Yes this should work beautifully! I would just really vacuum it as much as you can before doing your gentle scrub and dab! Blue dawn is perfect for light fabrics! If you need extra help add some hydrogen peroxide. (Just spot test first)

      Delete
    2. Blue colored Dawn dish soap is what they are talking about. For some reason, the blue works better than the other ones. (At least for me).

      Delete
  4. Such great advice! I'll definitely be trying it out! I hope you don't mind if I share it on my blog!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Holly @ www.lifeasathrifter.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! I always pass up stained furniture out of fear of not being able to clean it but this may have change my mind! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if this would work on car upholstery? Our car is a 2007 and all of a sudden, we're noticing the seat becoming so dirty where one slides into the seat and we have no idea why. We've thought about trading it in but it only has 36,600 miles on it but I need to get it cleaned before I try to trade it in. Hate the thoughts of making car payments again but don't want to take money out of our savings account. I'm going to try Dawn..or either Resolve upholstery cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice restyle! Love your cleaning choice and thanks for taking the time to share your tips!



    Carpet cleaning Brisbane & Flood Restoration Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic! With two dogs and a teenage daughter, something shows up on our sofa from time to time...and I want two recliners for my living room but have been afraid to attempt the Salvation Army items, though I've looked now and then. I did find a couch I liked, but wasn't sure if a pale stain on one of the seat cushions would come out. Will give your cleaning process a try and then get up my courage for another foray at Salvation Army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you want to see your old carpet clean and new? Just hire a professional carpet cleaning service. They know how to make your carpet clean and new by cleaning the carpet in proper way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cleaning solution worked like magic, Lue! The stains from the spills were totally removed, like they never existed at all! Your chairs even look much brighter after. Good job!

    Blanca Douglas @ Safeclean by Guardsman

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget