Monday, June 18, 2012

A recipe that has changed my life! MICROWAVE CARAMEL!!!



So...I grew up with one of those moms that just made certain things so well and they were just AMAZING and caramel was one of them! From about the age of 12 I totally would study what she was doing and help her anytime she made treats. Especially carmel...because I know it is a bit of a science and technique. 


Well flash forward to me happily married and wanting to make caramel apples with my friends for a fun fall get together...I was going to make the caramel and become famous because its that good...but no I ended up with grainy sugar and flavor that was separated from the butter! Seriously I was so mad...we ate it because the taste was there but it was not the creamy amazing caramel I grew up making. 


So...I am sure there was one more in between but flash forward again to last christmas party...I was making a chocolate caramel pretzel tart...amazing right?! Yeah. I slaved away on it all day and when it got to the caramel I knew that my mom recipe had not been my friend the last couple times...so I used the one from the recipe. SAME THING!!! Grainy caramel no matter how slow I cooked it! I had to try boiling the sweetened condensed milk and it worked but I ran out of time...so it was caramel-y but not really. Major disappointment. 


So...one more time. I thought I would give it a try...but by this time I decided it might be my cheap cheap stove so I bought back up just in case...once again to go on my moms Snickers Ice Box cake the caramel did not turn out so I used the bottle of ice cream topping. Thank heavens.


So when I was making Billionaire Bars I panicked when I forgot the store bought caramel! So I searched and found this recipe that has changed my life forever!!! I will never attempt caramel on my crappy stove again...note to self in next house get a nice range! I found it on pinching pennies and it was perfect! Maybe not as deep as a slow cooked carmel but in 15 min you have smooth amazing perfect soft caramel! I AM GIDDY!!!


Microwave Caramel 
1 cup Butter or Margarine
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Light Karo Syrup
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk


In a large microwave safe bowl melt the margarine for 1 1/2 minutes. 


Remove from the microwave and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Place back into the microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes. 


Take the bowl from the microwave and stir well. Continue cooking on high for an additional 5 minutes, remove and stir. 


Cook for 3 more minutes ( for a total of 13 mins.15ish with melting butter and stirring) Remove from the microwave, stir and pour into a 9 x 13 pan to set. 


Once caramel has set wrap in wax paper and store in an air tight container. Or use on favorite recipes!!! 






pic and recipe from pinching pennies.

6 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! I love easy recipes; because I am too prone to mess up intricate ones. Thanks for this, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you use butter instead of margarine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! In fact I did use butter!!! I am a butter kinda girl! Thanks for that...I am going to put on there butter or margarine!

      Delete
  3. New GFC follower from Whatcha Whipped Up. The carmel looks great! Have to try it. Love for you to return the follow when you can ;0

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this. I love to make caramel but standing over the stove waiting for the candy thermometer to get to temp for the last 25 degrees or so is horrible. Thanks for sharing on Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving Microwave Caramel recipe and easy to make. I found easy Microwave recipes at home and delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget