Thursday, June 7, 2012

Key Lime Cake with Lime Cream Cheese frosting

Sorry for my long long absence. I tend to get way behind on EVERYTHING...and my fun blogging is the first to be neglected. I am getting better at keeping up with myself but still...clearly....I am not there yet. I have a lot to share with you guys if only I would sit down and do it. 


I made this in April for my mom's birthday upon her request. I was skeptical I am not a lemony/lime type sweets sorta girl but her birthday, her cake...But I will say this:

IT TURNED OUT AMAZING!!! Everyone loved it, the cake was great and the frosting was better! So delicious. I took things from a whole bunch of different recipes and this is what I did:


Cake:

  • 1 lemon cake mix
    1 cups vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 package lime flavored gelatin mix
    3/4 cup orange juice
    Mix together and divide among pans of choice and cook according to cake box directions.
    *If your worried about it being too sweet add 1/2 prepared white cake mix. I did then I used the other half to make cupcakes for those babies who wouldn't eat heaven on earth!!! I even made it swirly looking it was cool.

    Key lime Frosting

    1/2 cup butter
    1 package cream cheese
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon orange juice
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    zest from one lime mostly for pretty

    Worlds best frosting!!! SO GOOD! 

11 comments:

  1. This cake is beautiful & sounds so good! I'd love if you shared it over at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday . Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 37. I hope you will join us each week. I am now following you on GC. Are you on facebook yet? I'm sharing on my page and also pinning on my Thursday's Treasures board. <3 and hugs dear! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/06/thursdays-treasures-week-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake is heaven! I love that you used Jello to add the lime flavor in the cake! I'm featuring this on Thursday's Treasures tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you used 1 whole cup of veg oil???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was worried it would be gross but all the recipes I looked at called for that if not more! So I settled with one...if you come up with a variation that is yummy and moist without all that let me know! You could also sub applesauce....

      Delete
  5. The 1/2 white prepared cake mix - is that mixed to the box directions and then 1/2 added to your "lime" cake? Thanks and I can't wait to try this cake for summer or maybe our anniversary in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So I just made it separately then almost swirled it in! You can mix it all the way in just whatever tickles your fancy. So my adding that just made the cake bigger.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you use a big box or little box of lime jello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...I honestly am not 100% sure but about 98% that it was a big box! Let me know if you use something different!

      Delete
    2. I have made this cake numerous times now! It is wonderful and a favorite of everyone who tastes it. I am using the large box of Lime Jello.
      Thank you for the awesome cake recipe!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget